Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Poster child for pro ana?





I was browsing the Internet today, and found this chilling pro anorexic clip on Snejana titled THINspiration. Thinspiration is the term given to visuals of thin women/men by pro anorexics to inspire them to achieve their goal in staying thin. Apparently, Snejana is one of the most popular thinspiration role models among those endorsing eating disorders. Snejana's pictures are used to inspire themselves to not eat, and her thin body is considered ideal.



I'm all for freedom of speech, but where should creative liberty and freedom of expression draw the line? I don’t know if Snejana has an eating disorder or not, and I am not implying that she does, but I am sure that she and other models shown in these videos are unwillingly designated poster children of anorexia. Because there is very little censorchip on You Tube, these videos are accessed by thousands of young girls who struggle with eating disorders on a daily basis.

Should You Tube remove all thinspiration videos? I'm really curious as to what you guys all think about this. Please share your thoughts...

P.S. One of the user comments for this video says that it sucks that Snejana was dropped from IMG's board. Could this true?

UPDATE: I was confused because I didn't think that she was with IMG- so I called IMG this morning anyway, to see if she was dropped, and the receptionist said he didn't know who Snejana was. WTF?! even if she isn't with IMG, i'm sure he knew who she is...But there must be some truth to this... I wonder what these "issues" that made her so difficult to work with.
And by the way...she's with DNA. Where has she been?

No comments:

Post a Comment