Saturday, December 26, 2009

::CHRISTMAS RECAP

::HI LOVELIES!! Hope you all had a great holiday wherever you may be. I wasn't able to go back home to New York City for Christmas, but I was fortunate enough to be in the company of great friends. My friend Heather "The Scootabaker" ( you must check out her very cool blog) was gracious enough to invite me over for a first rate Los Angeles feast...

All this food for 5 people = food coma heaven.


I'm pretty lucky to count one of the most talented (and stylish!) bakers and bloggers in the LA area as a friend - because it doesn't get better than this! I mean seriously- this girl delivers her goods around Hollywood on a Yellow Vespa, and often wears heels while doing so. No kidding.

Per Heather's suggestion, I may want to check out maternity jeans, with a super expandable waistband, because I feel like I'm still in a food induced coma. How could I not adore her?


Our menu included:

  • Mini Red Velvet cupcakes
  • Molasses ginger cookies
  • Cranberry Oatmeal cookies
  • Cinnamon Chocolate Mocha bundt cake
  • Brown-butter cranberry tart
  • Apple flower frangipane tart
  • Carmel pecan tartlets
  • Turkey, mash potatoes, stuffing, green beans, prosciutto & bruschetta, gravy & home made cranberry sauce!
  • Pomegranate martinis, egg nog *or should I say - egg NAWG*, lots of champagne, sangria & lots of vino!
Everything was perfect. Heather wore the Crepe Slip dress from the Rodarte for Target collection::

and I was thrilled to finally get a small glimpse of the collection in person, although this wasn't always the case... Admittedly, I was a bit hesitant to jump on the Rodarte for Target bandwagon or get excited about it, until yesterday.

Part of this hesitation was established when Rodarte's Kate and Laura Mulleavy declared Style Rookie Tavi Gevinson their muse (via Teen Vogue) Don't get me wrong- I ADORE Tavi, beyond being the cutest thing EVER, I think she's incredibly talented fellow blogger, and has such a vision for any age- let alone for being 13. Nonetheless, I couldn't picture myself being uber excited about a line that is "defined" by a (too cute I can't stand it) 13 year old, being over the age of 21.

I felt that Rodarte for Target alienated a group of adult buyers, including myself who weren't in the tween set. I just didn't identify with the collection.

Another reason I was initially turned off, and I hope I'm not being too picky here- was the styling direction- or lack thereof on Target's website. After having seen one of the pieces in the flesh last night, let me tell you- these pictures on Target's website do NOT do the line justice. They just don't seem to flow with the Rodarte aesthetic. (Check out the spring RTW 2010 collection HERE to get a sense of what I mean)

The hostess with the mostest Heather, is one of the braver souls who managed to actually score a piece from the line the same day the collection hit stores. I'm not that brave, so I actually tried ordering THIS lace print dress in tan/ black to no avail. Everything is pretty much out of stock. Boooooooooo.

Lucky Heather paired her dress with thick black tights, and these ahmazing Chloe wedges pictured below:


::ADORABLE.
How does she manage to not weigh 400+ pounds while baking those ridiculously great tasting goods? I only wish I would have photographed the entire look from head to toe, but being a novice photographer (camera was my Christmas present) I got so wrapped up on the dress, that I forgot to get a shot of the shoes- but fret not my dear, I found a picture taken a few months ago...


In the end, Rodarte for Target has continued to create a fashion democracy by bring the runway to reality, and allowing fashionistas of all tax brackets a taste of high fashion. Sure it doesn't have the same construction as a piece from their non Target collections, but what you do get- is a piece of whimsical clothing designed to make you look good- for a fraction of the cost. And while Tavi and I may be (a few!) years apart, we both, along with Heather, share an affinity for all things fashion.

::Que viva Rodarte!!!



ps. I'd love to see my how my readers rock the line, so feel free to send me some pics in your Rodarte for Target attire, and I'll be sure to post the on my site!





No comments:

Post a Comment